It's no secret that pregnancy can be one of the most exciting times in your life. You're growing a human being and experiencing all sorts of changes with your body, including those involving the skin.
During your pregnancy, your body rapidly changes as your baby grows. As your skin expands to make room for your growing babe, you can often experience skin dryness and stretch marks. During pregnancy dryness and stretch marks can affect up to 80% of women who are expecting! While there is no cure for stretch marks, you can treat the dryness and select a belly oil that helps soothe the skin and may even lessen their appearance of stretch marks after delivery.
Stretch marks occur when the skin stretches or shrinks quickly (during pregnancy). The rapid change causes the collagen and elastin, which support our skin, to rupture, and as the skin heals, a scar known as a stretch mark can appear.
Most mums-to-be develop stretch marks, which can appear on the belly, bottom, thighs, hips or breasts and can vary in colour from pink to red and sometimes purple or brown.
What is a Belly Oil you ask?
A belly oil is a special blend of oils that can safely be used to massage the abdomen before, during and after pregnancy.
Belly oil is a great product for anyone who is pregnant, or even if you have stretch marks. It's also good for dry skin and will help keep your skin hydrated and soft during your pregnancy.
There are so many wonderful benefits of using a belly oil in pregnancy;
- Helps to soothe dry itchy skin.
- Can minimise the appearance of stretch marks post pregnancy.
- Hydrates your skin, helping it to stay soft and supple throughout your entire pregnancy (and beyond).
What ingredients should you look for in a belly oil?
When you're shopping for a belly oil, it's important to look at the ingredients. Belly oils can contain many different ingredients, but some are better than others.
Here are some great ingredients to look for when selecting a belly oil:
- Vitamin E – Enhances Moisturisation.
- Grapeseed oil - increases cell turnover and collagen synthesis which helps your skin stay elastic and stay healthy.
- Cocoa Butter - deeply hydrates the skin, as the fats in cocoa butter form a protective barrier to hold in moisture.
- Jojoba Oil - mimics the naturally produced oils in our skin. When it is applied to the skin, it provides deep hydration and moisture. Rich in vitamins A, D and E, jojoba is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and hypoallergenic. It can helps to calm rashes, and reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
If you agree with everything we’ve mentioned so far, you’ll be delighted to know that The Drop Skincare has created Mamas Belly Oil that incorporates all the good ingredients, while leaving out all the nasties.
The new bottle released is 100ml making it prefect for you to take with you anywhere.
The oil has been intentionally designed to be fragrance free. During pregnancy, women are often turned off by certain smells. Mamas Belly Oil is odourless, so you won’t be deterred by the smell.
Belly oil should be applied daily and can be used throughout your whole pregnancy and beyond.
So, there you have it! Belly Oil is a great product to incorporate into your pregnancy and postpartum care.